Friday, November 18, 2011

Cache Ownership

It is a fairly simply thing to do. I decided that I wanted to showcase the walking trail in town. Even though there were already a few caches on it, there were none that made you do the whole trail.
I first figured out my cipher that I needed to put into the first three. Then I made sure each of the first three held the needed information. I grabbed my gear, cache containers, and a couple of good pens. Went out and loaded my bike (I was not doing this by just walking, would have taken me way too long), then headed to the place I wanted to start.
I figured the easiest way to start was to put out the last one first. That way I could check everything as I went backwards. Since the last one was a field puzzle, I needed to double check my information anyway. Once I put it out, I went about making sure the information worked right. Now I just had to find good places to put the first three. I already had a good idea for each, but would have to get it better once I got there.
As I rode around this trail my ideas for placing the caches changed. That was alright since they had not been submitted for review yet. To make sure I didn’t have any closer than the rules allow, I had done a PQ of all the caches around the area. I Loaded those into my Etrex and smart phone, so if I changed my mind where to put my caches, then I had information to make sure they were still going to work. Once I got to each location, I had to drag out my placing equipment to check all figures and coordinates. It was rather easy since I had my backpack loaded with the necessary items.
The first was the puzzle (GC32VA2). It would be fairly simple. Just the right amount of information to not be where you would think. I used a lot of things from the field that make this one difficult to do without actually going out. All the information is there, you just have to make sense of it. Then I rode to the final for the multi (GC32VA1). This was going to have to be tougher then most multis. You had to go a good distance on the path between the two. So I made certain of my coordinates before leaving. Then it was to the other stages, working backwards to make sure all the numbers were right. As I completed the multi, I decided where the traditionional (GC32VA0) was going to be. I was going to make it a tribute after a fellow cacher in the general area. It surprised me that I could actually follow their example in this area. Placement of the traditional was simple then.
Once all these are found, the needed information acquired, there is a fourth cache associated with these. It was a twist on a way to give everyone an experience with different cache types.

No comments:

Post a Comment